173 Hastie Road,
Old Carrington Cemetery is today marked by only three headstones. Two of them, enclosed by a timber picket fence, are of a young couple who died within a year of their marriage in 1898. The other, of a Scottish immigrant who drowned while endeavouring to save a child, is now so badly eroded that the date of death and age are illegible. Wendy Favell has also contributed a death certificate in respect of a young English immigrant who died following a fall from his horse in 1891 and whose grave marker has not survived. It is not known how many other burials took place at this location.
Peter and Karen Patterson-Kane visited and photographed the site in September 2009. Their images may be downloaded from the list of inscriptions for this cemetery. The list was compiled from Peter's images and with reference to the Queensland BDM online search facility for additional information.
Hastie Road runs east off the Atherton - Herberton Road, 2.8km km south of Atherton, North Queensland. The cemetery is on the southern side of the road, 0.5km from that intersection. Lat -17.289266 Long 145.478382
Thomas Park, which contains the remains of the Old Carrington Cemetery, is cared for by Tablelands Regional Council. For further information, contact Council at PO Box 573, Atherton Qld 4883; phone: 1300 362 242; email: email@example.com
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index