355 Triangle Flat Road
The locality was once known as Jumpers Flat, and the cemetery was known as Jumpers Flat Cemetery. It is owned by Anglican, Catholic, United & Presbyterian Churches and the Crown.
"There was no public cemetery in Rockley and it is the intention of the Government to set aside a piece of land for a cemetery in that township" (Sydney Morning Herald, trove,15/11/1861). "2 acres 2 roods has been set apart for an unsectarial burial ground"...A grant was obtained in 1879 for the clearing and fencing of the cemetery....."By May 1899 the cemetery was cleared and fenced" (National Advocate, Bathurst, trove, 2/2/1899). "After 20 years not a penny had been expended on the cemetery......it became almost a mass of scrub.......the fence was going to wreck........it was a disgrace" (National Advocate Bathurst, trove, 18/8/1899).
There are several unmarked, unknown graves. 3 -4 men were hanged in Rockley, in a little shed to the right, behind the Rockley saleyards. These men are buried in the south-western corner of Rockley cemetery. A few dedicated families care for family graves, one family does limited mowing. It needs a rabbit-proof fence, with buried wire netting.
Access to Rockley Cemetery is via Rockley Cemetery Road, an unsealed road, from Triangle Flat Road, Rockley. The turn-off on Triangle Flat Road is 3.8 km south of Rockley former Post Office.
Bathurst Regional Council does not own the cemetery. It does not contribute to maintenance. It charges for cemetery plots.
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index