Also known as Gegedzerick.
Address: Gegedzerick Road, Berridale 2628 NSW
Berridale Cemetery, or Gegedzerick as it was originally known, dates from the early days of settlement in this part of the Monaro. Pioneer Richard Brooks established Gegedzerick (believed to be the Aboriginal name for the area) Station around 1827. The cemetery contains inscriptions from as early as 1842 and it is still in use. An attractive set of four set columbaria is a recent addition to the site and bear plaques dating from 2006.
The nearby Anglican Church of St Mary the Virgin was erected in 1860 and recently celebrated its 150th anniversary. It, too, remains in use today.
Joe Sharman visited Berridale Cemetery in August 2010 and made a digital image of every visible inscription. He found the cemetery in good order and well maintained. The list of all inscriptions for this cemetery has been compiled from Joe's pictures and with reference to the NSW indices of births, deaths and marriages and to the Australian War Memorial online military rolls for additional information.
How to find it
From Berridale, head north west on Jindabyne Road towards Cooma for 2km, turn right onto Gegedzerick Rod for 1.6km then right onto the lane to the church and cemetery for 700m.
Lat -36.373844, Long 148.851345
For further information, contact Snowy River Shire Council, PO Box 143, Berridale NSW 2628; phone 02 6451 1195; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The number of inscriptions for this cemetery is 878
The listing was last updated on 2010-12-29
The listing was complete as at 2010-08-20
Search for a specific family name in all cemeteries.