Cemetery 966 - Armidale

Update Cemetery See Inscriptions Add Inscription

Armidale

Lynches Rd

Armidale

NSW

2350

-30.527946

151.659637

This cemetery has no sign showing the name of cemetery.

Armidale's first recorded cemetery was located near the south-west corner of Faulkner and Brown streets, where Armidale City Primary School is now situated. A new cemetery was approved in 1861 and dedicated on 2 July 1863 and is the cemetery currently in use today. Relatives and friends of those buried in the old cemetery were given the opportunity to move the headstones and the remains from the old cemetery to the new cemetery. The headstones that were not relocated, were demolished. The cemetery in use today can be located in South Armidale. The cemetery is particularly noted for its two fine brick chapels, monuments dating back to the early 1850s and its impressive avenue of Elms and Cypress trees. The cemetery is divided into denominations and, up until 1966, each denomination was responsible for their portion of the cemetery. Trustees were appointed by the churches for administration and continue to do so. Council has sufficient land at the cemetery to span a further two hundred years.

374

158

1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1

Location of cemetery

Functions

Update this Cemetery

Add an Inscription to this Cemetery

See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery

Add a Cemetery

Contact Australian Cemeteries Index