William Hovell Drive (Block 1257)
The cemetery opened in 1873 when a small, wooden-slab Methodist church built in 1869 was relocated to the site from Upper Canberra (now known as Lyneham) and rededicated. The church was dismantled in 1955.
There are approximately 44 burials, the first occurred in 1875 and the last in 1964.The burials are Methodist district-pioneers active before the founding of Canberra as the national capital and are mostly connected with the extended Southwell family.
Australian Capital Territory entry to an Interim Heritage Places Register for: Weetangera Cemetery & Former Church Site , (Methodist Cemetery, Hawker), (Dec 2004)
Cameron, Ernest and Evan. The story of the Weetangerra Methodist Church. (Federal Capital Press, Canberra, 1956)
The cemetery is located approximately 480m south of the intersection of William Hovell, Drake Brockman and Kingsford Smith Drives. Access is via a vehicular track on the western side of William Hovell Drive.
12 Jan 2018
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index