Cemetery 922 - The Oaks Burial Ground

Update Cemetery See Inscriptions Add Inscription

The Oaks Burial Ground

Florence St

Oaks Estate

ACT

2620

-35.341360

149.225800

The Oaks Burial Ground was the first burial ground of Queanbeyan. Early information on the burial ground states the earliest burial took place adjacent to “The Oaks” homestead. It would also appear that no headstones existed in the burial ground. The site was used for burials from 1838 to 1846 when the Queanbeyan Riverside Cemetery was established. However one burial took place after 1846 when an unknown Indian juggler was buried on 8 Apr 1863.
When burials took place in this burial ground, Oaks Estate was part of New South Wales. In 1912 Oaks Estate was acquired by the Commonwealth and became a part of the Australian Capital Territory.
Over the years the burial grounds exact location had been forgotten. However, on 21 April 1991 a back-hoe operator, digging a storm water trench in a drive way at 9 Florence Street Oaks Estate unearthed skeletal remains. An anthropologist from the Australian National University confirmed the bones to be 150 years old. It was then established the site was the Oaks Burial Ground.

81

0

Location of cemetery

Functions

Update this Cemetery

Add an Inscription to this Cemetery

See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery

Add a Cemetery

Contact Australian Cemeteries Index