Whittingham Cemetery dates from the days of early white settlement in this district. A number of inscriptions extant are from the 1830s, and include some persons who arrived as convicts and another who was a veteran of the Battle of Waterloo in 1815. The monuments are wonderful examples of the work and artistry of stonemasons from the early 19th century to the present day. Many inscriptions more than 150 years old are beautifully preserved and as easy to read today as when they were carved.
The grounds are reasonably well cared for, although rough and in need of mowing in places. Most monuments are erect but, of course, some have fallen and broken. Repairs to some of the stones are evidence that some care about this resting place for many of the district pioneers and their ancestors. The popularity of family history research has no doubt contributed to this.
The images were contributed by Joe Sharman who began photographing the cemetery in February 2013. In compiling the list of inscriptions for this cemetery, reference was made to the NSW indices of births, deaths and marriages and to the Australian War Memorial online military rolls for additional information.
The road access to this cemetery is now via the New England Highway south of Singleton - travelling south from Singleton, turn right into Cemetery Lane and proceed west and over rail lines on to gravel access road to cemetery on hill.
Whittingham Cemetery is controlled and maintained by the Anglican Church. For further information, contact the Trustees, 40 High Street Singleton NSW 2330.
9 Dec 2013
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index