Chatswood Pioneers Memorial Reserve
Chatswood South Methodist
Mowbray Road West,
Now known as the Chatswood Pioneers Memorial Park, this cemetery was established in the 1870s in the grounds of the South Chatswood Methodist Church and closed circa 1924. After many years of neglect and vandalism leading to its almost total obliteration, the cemetery was ceded to the Municipality of Lane Cove in 1982. In conjunction with the National Trust of Australia (NSW), Council restored the cemetery and rededicated it on 12 February 1984. It is now maintained in beautiful condition.
One of the plaques tells a touching story of an early burial here. "In 1878, seven years after the pioneers built their church on the corner of what was then known as Gordon Street, a 19 year old gentleman, Hugh Bryson, was riding to Willoughby to visit his fiancée. On the way, the horse shied and he was thrown and killed. In his button hole he wore a camellia bloom. It is said that his grieving sweetheart kept the camellia and when Hugh was buried in the churchyard she planted the camellia in the covering soil of Hugh's grave. The tree grew and its blooms may still be seen in the north-west corner of the newly restored churchyard, shading the Bryson plot."
Michael Brookhouse visited the site and made digital images of all visible inscriptions during 2012. The list of inscriptions includes several known burials for which no headstones exist - information gained from the microfilmed cemetery records on file at the State Library of NSW. The list was compiled with reference to the NSW indices of births, deaths and marriages and to the Australian War Memorial's online military rolls for additional information.
Trove entries are directed to the Wesleyan Cemetery, Lane Cove.
The cemetery adjoins the Uniting Church, on the southern side of Mowbray Road West and the Pacific Highway. Lat -33.805806, Long 151.178341
The Pioneers Memorial Reserve is in the care of the Lane Cove Municipal Council. For further information, contact Council at PO Box 20, Lane Cove NSW 1595; phone 02 9911 3555; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
8 Jan 2013
31 Jan 2012
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index