Parramatta St Patricks Catholic
St Patrick's Cemetery in Parramatta was established in the early days of the Colony of NSW with inscriptions extant dating from 1824. It is centred around a stone chapel in which funeral services were held and which contains the graves of several of the Parramatta priests. Long since closed and unfenced, the cemetery has suffered grievously at the hands of vandals over the years.
Michael Brookouse has contributed the images he made during June 2011 of every visible inscription. Over the years, many of the monuments have fallen and broken, some having been repaired and re-erected while some are partially or entirely missing. The site was in good condition and well maintained by Parramatta City Council.
Michael's images may be downloaded from the list of inscriptions for this cemetery. That list has been compiled from Michael's pictures and with reference to the NSW indices of births, deaths and marriages and to the Australian War Memorial online military rolls for additional information. Another excellent resource consulted has been Judith Dunn's book "The Parramatta Cemeteries: St Patrick's" to assist in deciphering some inscriptions that are becoming increasingly more difficult to read.
St Patrick's Cemetery is 1.5km north of the Parramatta CBD on the northern side of the junction of Church Street and Pennant Hills Road. Lat -33.802027, Long 151.005926
26 Aug 2011
27 Jun 2011
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index