Parramatta Methodist Cemetery was established as a Wesleyan Cemetery in the 1830s, the earliest burial recorded being in 1836. It continued in use until early in the 20th century, only a few burials taking place after World War 1. The Parramatta Methodist Cemetery Act No 44 of 1961 authorised its conversion to a public park and it now known as the Walter Lawry Methodist Memorial Park, in the care of Parramatta City Council.
The cemetery's conversion to a park resulted in the removal of most of the headstones but a small number have been preserved and remounted on beams in a corner of the park. Unfortunately, lying flat on the ground for many years has resulted in moderate to severe damage to some of the stones from mowers and trimmers used in the park, thus reducing their legibility. As required by the Act, all known burials have been listed and are displayed on panels on the site.
Michael Brookhouse visited the park and photographed the headstones and name panels in March 2011. His pictures may be downloaded from the list of inscriptions for this cemetery. That list was compiled from Mick's images and with reference to the NSW indices of births, deaths and marriages for additional information. As is to be expected, the transcriptions of data from old handwritten records over the years has resulted in many variations in the spelling of names and in dates and ages as between the exhibited burial list, the remaining inscriptions and the BDM records that were not able to be resolved.
The cemetery is on the eastern side of Buller Street, 100m north of Victoria Road.
For further information, contact Parramatta City Council, PO Box 32, Parramatta NSW 2124; phone 02 9806 5050; email: email@example.com
23 Jul 2011
5 Mar 2011
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index