Pennant Hills Road,
Loreto Bushland Cemetery contains the graves of 45 members of the Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Founded in 1897 by Mother Gonzaga Barry, the school was designed to provide boarding facilities for country girls. Today, the school has grown to be a large day and boarding school. The small cemetery is in a delightful bushland setting at the rear of the school. It is bounded by a low stone perimeter wall, is neat and simple and all markers are of similar design.
Michael Brookhouse visited the cemetery in May 2011 and, with the kind assistance of Property Manager, Mr Gary Watman, made a digital image of every inscription. Mick's pictures may be downloaded from the list of inscriptions for this cemetery. The additional biographical information on that list was sourced with permission from Sr Theresa Elliott's book, "Resting Beneath the Rainbow" (2007) illustrated by Annie Joseph, copies of which are available from Loreto Normanhurst.
Loreto Bushland Cemetery is situated in a rare Turpentine and Iron Bark forest, classified by the National Trust, at the rear of Loreto Catholic School for Girls in Pennant Hills Road, Normanhurst. Lat -33.728132, Long 151.097147
22 Jul 2011
21 May 2011
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index