New England Highway,
Lochinvar Catholic Cemetery contains inscriptions from as early as 1856 and the graves of many of the district's pioneers. There are many graves of sisters of St Joseph, who established the Maitland branch of the Order at Lochinvar in 1883. Their extensive complex is almost opposite the Church of St Patrick on the highway. For further information see David Billington's Australian Catholic Churches website (link below).
The site contains a mixture of monumental and lawn cemetery graves. Some of the old stones have fallen and others that are leaning have been propped up and fenced off for security reasons. But generally, the monuments are in good condition for age and legible. The whole site is well fenced and is maintained in good order by the Church.
Paul Fitzgerald visited and photographed every visible inscription during November and December 2010. His images may be downloaded from the list of inscriptions for this cemetery. Paul compiled that list from his images and with reference to the NSW indices of births, deaths and marriages and to the Australian War Memorial online military rolls for additional information.
The cemetery is on the corner of the New England Highway and Station Lane, adjoining St Patrick's Church. Lat -32.700174, Long 151.455357
St Patrick's Church and cemetery is within the Catholic Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle. For further information, contact the Chancery Office, 841 Hunter Street, Newcastle West 2302; phone 02 4979 1109
14 Jan 2011
3 Dec 2010
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index