Cemetery 722 - Berridale

Update Cemetery See Inscriptions Add Inscription

Berridale

Gegedzerick

Gegedzerick Road

Berridale

NSW

2628

-36.373352

148.851425

Berridale Cemetery, or Gygederick as it was originally known, dates from the early days of settlement in this part of the Monaro. Pioneer Richard Brooks established Gygederick (believed to be the Aboriginal name for the area) Station around 1827. The cemetery contains inscriptions from as early as 1842 and it is still in use. An attractive set of four set columbaria is a recent addition to the site and bear plaques dating from 2006.

The nearby Anglican Church of St Mary the Virgin was erected in 1860 and recently celebrated its 150th anniversary. It, too, remains in use today. The sign says "Diocese of Canberra and Goulburn, Saint Mary the Virgin Anglican Church, Gegedzerick".

Joe Sharman visited Berridale Cemetery in August 2010 and made a digital image of every visible inscription. He found the cemetery in good order and well maintained. The list of inscriptions for this cemetery has been compiled from Joe's pictures and with reference to the NSW indices of births, deaths and marriages and to the Australian War Memorial online military rolls for additional information.

From Berridale, head north east on Jindabyne Road towards Cooma for 2km, turn right onto Gegedzerick Road (still called Gygederick Road on some maps) for 1.6km then right onto the lane to the church and cemetery for 700m.

For further information, contact Snowy River Shire Council, PO Box 143, Berridale NSW 2628; phone 02 6451 1195; email: records@snowyriver.nsw.gov.au

www.snowyriver.nsw.gov.au/

29 Dec 2010

20 Aug 2010

909

879

1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1

Location of cemetery

Functions

Update this Cemetery

Add an Inscription to this Cemetery

See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery

Add a Cemetery

Contact Australian Cemeteries Index