Cemetery 716 - Charters Towers Pioneer

Update Cemetery See Inscriptions Add Inscription

Charters Towers Pioneer

West Street,

Charters Towers

QLD

4820

-20.085089

146.269416

Charters Towers Pioneer Cemetery covers an area of about 5 hectares on the western side of town. It was in use from 1872 to 1895, at which time the burial plots were exhausted and a new cemetery opened on the northern outskirts of town. The Pioneer Cemetery is believed to contain some 5,000 graves, although a mere 343 inscriptions are to be found today.

It is unfortunate that only a minority of the monuments remain intact and upright, the others fallen and in various stages of disintegration. The strong impression is that vandals have had a field day in this historic place.

Peter and Karen Patterson-Kane visited and photographed the cemetery and its inscriptions in November 2010. Peter comments on the unusual fence posts around the perimeter and that a stile is provided beside the entrance gate. There is considerable information posted on site about the history of the cemetery and notable graves, as well as a graphical display of the original portions.

Peter's images may be viewed from the list of inscriptions for this cemetery. The Queensland indices of births, deaths and marriages have been consulted for additional information.

Cemetery Road, which becomes West Street, runs south-east off the Flinders Highway at Queenton. Lat -20.085089, Long 146.269416

For further information, contact Charters Towers Regional Council, PO Box 189, Charters Towers QLD 4820; phone 07 4761 5300; email: mail@charterstowers.qld.gov.au

14 Dec 2010

3 Nov 2010

2674

343

1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1

Location of cemetery

Functions

Update this Cemetery

Add an Inscription to this Cemetery

See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery

Add a Cemetery

Contact Australian Cemeteries Index