Karuah Cemetery contains inscriptions dating from 1907 to the present day. The site is divided into denominational areas - Anglican, Methodist and Roman Catholic - but these are not indicated. Rows are numbered but there is no visible grave numbering. There are two columbaria, the original almost full and the larger more recent one as yet little used.
Monuments are generally upright and legible with no sign of vandalism. At the time of listing the grounds were in excellent condition with grass mown and trimmed around all the graves. Council advises that "work in this cemetery is undertaken by the local community which marks its local value and heritage". A shelter with seating is provided but there are no on-site amenities.
The digital images were taken by Ray Cork during September 2010. His images may be downloaded from the list of inscriptions for this cemetery. Ray compiled the inscription list from his images and with reference to the NSW indices of births, deaths and marriages and to the Australian War Memorial Nominal online military rolls for additional information. We are also grateful for some supplementary images that have been supplied by Paul Fitzgerald, who visited the cemetery about the same time.
Karuah cemetery is located in the centre of Karuah township on the southern side of Tarean Rd (old Pacific Highway). Lat -32.654199, Long 151.96079
Karuah Cemetery is administered by Port Stephens Council. For further information contact Council at PO Box 42, Raymond Terrace NSW 2324; phone 02 4980 0255; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
2 Dec 2010
30 Sep 2010
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index