Casino General Cemetery appears to have been established in the mid-19th century. The earliest inscription extant is dated 1859. Burials have continued until the present day but the numbers are relatively few during the past decade suggesting that the cemetery is now closed except for reservations. The cemetery is included on Council's Local Heritage Inventory.
The cemetery site comprises denominational portions but these are not indicated. Some of the older stones have fallen and broken. Lichen is also a problem on some of the monuments but the inscriptions are mostly legible. The grounds are maintained in good order by Council.
The images were taken by Sandra Cockbain over numerous visits to the cemetery during 2009. Sandra also prepared the list of inscriptions for this cemetery. This was compiled with reference to the NSW and Queensland indices of births, deaths and marriages and to the Australian War Memorial online military rolls for additional information.
From Casino CBD, head north on Summerland Way for 650m. At the roundabout take the first exit and continue on Summerland Way (West Street) for another 850m to the cemetery. It is on the left hand (western) side of the road, opposite the golf course. Lat -28.852528, Long 153.045971
Casino General Cemetery is administered by Richmond Valley Council. For further cemetery information, contact Council at Locked Bag 10, Casino NSW 2470; phone 02 6660 0300; email: email@example.com
23 Jun 2020
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index