M.S.C. Cemetery – St. Mary's Towers
415 Douglas Park Drive
In the MSC cemetery behind the Retreat Centre, members of the Society of the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart Australian Province and others are buried. This cemetery is the last resting place for most of the members of the province, just over two hundred, but those buried elsewhere are also remembered here. Many members come to pay their last respects, and visitors remember old friendships as they wander among the graves. Scattered among the MSC are a few Lay members of the Chevalier Family, as well as one or two other non-MSC who laboured along side MSC priests and brothers.
While the cemetery was in use from an early time during the MSC ownership of the property, it was only consecrated on the 29th March 1944, by Most Reverend Francis Xavier Gsell msc the first bishop of the Diocese of Palmerston (now Darwin, covering the whole Northern Territory). The consecration stone marks the edge of the pathway into the cemetery.
The cemetery is composed of three sections; The older section, slightly raised beds with sandstone borders and white marble lead-embeded headstones, crowned with a cross of marble. The newer section is a lawn cemetery also of three double-sided rows, begun in the year 2002, it has metal plaques on low concrete supports.
The third section is a memorial house built in the style of a Tongan Fale (meeting house) with a large pink granite memorial stone naming those buried in cemeteries elsewhere than Douglas Park. A waterfall adorns the Fale.
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index