Bellingen Cemetery appears to have been established in the 1870s. Occupying an undulating site, it embraces denominational portions, an Aboriginal cemetery and a lawn cemetery with columbarium. The earliest inscription extant is 1874.
The monuments are generally upright and in good condition, although lichen growth has made some inscriptions difficult to decipher. The grounds are maintained in excellent condition by Bellingen Shire Council. This progressive Council also maintains an online cemetery register - see URL below.
Sandra Cockbain has contributed the images that she made of every visible inscription in May 2010. These may be viewed from the list of inscriptions for this cemetery. That list was compiled from the images and with reference to the NSW indices of births deaths and marriages and to the Australian War Memorial online military rolls for additional information.
From Hyde Street (Waterfall Way) head north on Wharf Street across the Bellinger River and turn left into Hammond Street. At the roundabout, take the second exit into Lyon Street from where it is 750m to the cemetery. Lat -30.439331 Long 152.900633
Bellingen General Cemetery is administered by Bellingen Shire Council. For further information, contact Council at PO Box 117, Bellingen NSW 3453; phone 02 6655 7300; email: email@example.com
6 Oct 2020
19 Jul 2010
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index