Berkeley Pioneer Cemetery was initially established as a private cemetery on their property by the Jenkins Family. The earliest inscription for a member of the Jenkins family is dated 1822. Subsequently, the cemetery was administered by the Anglican Church for a number of years before being transferred to the ownership and control of Wollongong City Council.
Although this small site is still in use, Council states that the cemetery has very limited additional capacity for burials and for this reason Council seeks to restrict access to it. The Berkeley Pioneer Cemetery Restoration Group has been formed to continue restoration work at this historic site.
Wayne Hill has contributed digital images he made of all the inscriptions he found in a survey of the site in October 2002. The list of inscriptions for this cemetery has been compiled from Wayne's images, data supplied by him and from the list of burials exhibited at the site. Extensive reference was also made to the NSW indices of births, deaths and marriages for additional information.
For a map showing the row/plot numbers for all graves click austcemindex.com/data/berkeleymap.jpg
Berkeley Pioneer Cemetery entrance is via the park on the eastern side of Investigator Drive, 350m from Berkeley Road. Lat -34.459262 Long 150.846768
Find us on Facebook: Berkeley Pioneer Cemetery Restoration Group
For further information, contact Wollongong City Council, Wollongong City Council, Locked Bag 8821, Wollongong DC NSW 2500; phone 02 4227 7111, email: email@example.com
17 May 2010
19 Oct 2002
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index