Windellama Anglican Cemetery is in the grounds of the church of St Bartholomew. It consists of a general monumental section with inscriptions dating from 1854, a memorial wall that was dedicated on 27 August 1995 and a War memorial listing the names of local men who died during both World Wars.
The foundation stone for the church was laid On 27 October 1859. Richard Cornelius Cartwright (brother of Thomas) was the instigator of establishing a church at Windellama but only two months after the foundation stone was laid, he died and was buried in the Cartwright plot. His headstone is extant.
Connie Ball visited the cemetery in November 2009. She says that the area was in good order with lawns mown, a water tank installed and no sign of vandalism. The monuments are mostly upright and legible.
Connie made digital images of all visible inscriptions and prepared the list of inscriptions for this cemetery. That list was compiled with reference to the NSW indices of births, deaths and marriages and to the Australian War Memorial's online military rolls for additional information.
St Bartholomew's Anglican Church and cemetery is 38km south-east of Goulburn via the Windellama Road. The cemetery is on the northern side of the road.
St Bartholomew's cemetery is administered by the Anglican Church of Australia. For further information contact the Diocesan Office, GPO Box 1981, Canberra ACT 2601; phone 02 6232 3600.
2 Mar 2010
30 Nov 2009
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index