Stratford General Cemetery occupies a large open site. Portions are clearly indicated but there are no row markers. The site is well maintained and most headstones are in good condition. There are no facilities provided at the cemetery but toilets and water are available in an adjacent rest area.
The cemetery appears to have been established in the 1920s, the earliest inscription extant being dated 1925. An attempt has been made at some time to mark many previously unmarked graves with wooden crosses bearing an initial and surname only. Probably, this was undertaken about 20 or so years ago and some of the markers are now in poor condition. In most cases, there is insufficient information to enable us to identify those persons.
Ray Cork has contributed the digital images he made of every visible inscription during December 2009. Ray compiled the inscriptions from his images and with reference to the NSW BDM online search facility and the Australian War Memorial Nominal Rolls for additional information.
The village of Stratford is located on Bucketts Way about 10 km south of Gloucester. At the southern end of the town, turn east onto Wood Street, which becomes Bowens Rd. The cemetery is located about 0.4km from Bucketts Way.
Stratford Cemetery is administered by Gloucester Shire Council. For further information, contact Council at 89 King St (PO Box 11), Gloucester, NSW, 2422; phone 02 6538 5250; email email@example.com
2 Jan 2010
12 Dec 2009
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index