Approximately midway between Young and Boorowa, Murringo was originally known as Marengo. Murringo General Cemetery displays inscriptions dating from 1859. Many of the district's pioneers are buried here. It is a cemetery that has attracted family historians, some of whom have undertaken the restoration of family graves and the marking of some previously unmarked. For example, many of the Harcombe headstones were restored by a family member in the early 1990s.
The cemetery is under the care of the Young Shire Council who have maintained it in good condition. The headstones are mostly upright and legible and there is no evidence of recent vandalism. There are no amenities on site. Unfortunately, there is no cemetery name sign and the portions and rows are also unmarked.
In September 2009, Murringo Cemetery was surveyed by Ann Gardner who made digital images of every visible inscription. Her images may be downloaded from the list of inscriptions for this cemetery. That list was compiled from Ann's pictures and with reference to the NSW indices of births, deaths and marriages and to the Australian War Memorial online military rolls for additional information.
Murringo is 23km east of Young on the road to Boorowa. The cemetery is approximately 1km on the Boorowa side of the village.
Murringo Cemetery is administered by the Young Shire Council. For further information, contact Council at Locked Bag 5, Young NSW 2594; phone: 02 6382 1688; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
2 Nov 2009
30 Sep 2009
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index