Mount Mulligan Cemetery, in far northern Queensland, was established to serve the little town that sprang up in the early 20th century following the discovery of coal. By 1921, the town had a population of about 300 persons. However, on the morning of 19 September 1921, a gigantic coal dust explosion occurred at the mine which killed all those underground at the time. Seventy four bodies were subsequently recovered. The mine was brought back into production and continued to operate until it closed down in 1957. Within a year, the railway line had been dismantled and the town abandoned.
A memorial was erected by the Mining and Energy Union at the old mine site on the 75th anniversary of the tragedy that lists all those who were killed. It is accompanied by a brief history of the town and and a graphic account of the mining disaster (see image above).
Although relatively few headstones remain, a monument in the cemetery lists all known burials at this site. Details were derived from court house records, ex-residents and private research. The names inscribed on it have been included in this list with whatever information about them that is currently available. Mount Mulligan is yet another cemetery that has been maintained for many years on an annual basis by the Cairns Four Wheel Drive Club.
Peter and Karen Patterson-Kane visited Mount Mulligan Cemetery during September 2009 and photographed and listed all visible inscriptions. Their list of inscriptions for this cemetery has been compiled with reference to the Queensland indices of births, deaths and marriages for additional information.
Mount Mulligan Cemetery is approximately 1km north of the village.
31 Oct 2009
30 Sep 2009
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index