Cemetery 4983 - Granite Flat

Update Cemetery See Inscriptions Add Inscription

Granite Flat

Omeo Highway

Granite Flat near Mitta Mitta

VIC

3525

-36.582000

147.426000

From the information signs nearby: Granite Flat was a gold mining township from circa 1860 to 1890. During its peak it had 500 residents, 3 stores, 2 hotels and a wine bar! The first church was built in this area in 1864 and St Mary's Catholic Church, built in 1871, is the only building still standing. The last ceremony was held there in 1936.

The cemetery behind the church has been in use from the 1860's and burials continue to this day (2022). The first recorded burial was of Thomas Parker, aged 33 years, on 22 April 1863. In 1872 the 5 acre cemetery was declared a crown reserve and a group of local trustees have managed the cemetery since. Many local landholders are buried here (although there are only a few marked graves).

Granite Flat Cemetery is 9.4km (about 10 minutes driving) south of Mitta Mitta General Store, on the Omeo Highway.

Ken Lucas

21

21

1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1

Location of cemetery

Functions

Update this Cemetery

Add an Inscription to this Cemetery

See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery

Add a Cemetery

Contact Australian Cemeteries Index