Lawson General Cemetery appears to have been established around the turn of the 20th century with inscriptions from 1901 extant. It comprises six portions - Anglican, Baptist, Catholic, Methodist, Presbyterian and Independent. The grounds are well maintained by the Blue Mountains City Council but there are no facilities on the site.
Many of the marble stones have been stained, probably by sap and nectar from the surrounding trees, and others have attracted lichen. However, most monuments are in good condition and the inscriptions legible. There is quite a number of markers that provide a name and a year of death but no further information. We have appreciated the availability of Council's online cemetery register to complete names and dates for these.
Jean and Reg McDonell visited the cemetery in September 2009 and made notes and digital images of every visible inscription. That list was compiled from the images and notes made on site and with reference to the NSW indices of births, deaths and marriages and to the Australian War Memorial online military rolls for additional information.
Lawson Cemetery is found at the end of Wilson Street. This runs south off the Great Western Highway beside Lawson Public School, from where it is just 1km to the cemetery entrance.
Lawson General Cemetery is administered by the Blue Mountains City Council. For further information, contact Council at at Locked Bag 1005, Katoomba NSW 2780; Phone: 02 4780 5000; email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Council maintains a searchable cemetery register on its website - see URL below.
19 Sep 2009
16 Sep 2009
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index