Grafton General Cemetery occupies a roughly square site bounded by Villiers, Kirchner, Duke and Crown Streets. It is divided into general and denominational portions comprising Anglican, Baptist, Catholic, Lutheran, Presbyterian, Salvation Army, Uniting/Wesleyan, and Jewish. It is maintained in excellent condition by the Clarence Valley Council.
There are many early monuments displaying inscriptions dating from 1846. The stones are mostly in good order and legible, although several have fallen and broken. A considerable number record deaths by drowning in the Clarence River. It has been reported that around 40 headstones have been vandalized and broken. On 29 June 2020 we went and inspected this report and we found that quite a lot of headstones were either broken, pushed over and tops of them vandalized. Further to the vandalized headstones it appears that most of them were in the Presbyterian Section.
The cemetery was photographed and listed by Sandra Cockbain during the first half of 2009. She compiled the list from those images and with reference to the NSW indices of births, deaths and marriages and to the Australian War Memorial online military rolls for additional information.
After crossing the river at South Grafton into Fitzroy Street, take the third street on the right (Villiers St), for 2.2km to the cemetery.
Grafton General Cemetery is administered by the Clarence Valley Council. For further information, contact Council at 2 Prince Street (Locked Bag 23), Grafton NSW 2460; phone 02 6643 0200; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
7 Jul 2009
31 Mar 2009
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index