Old Hobart Presbyterian
The Old Hobart St Andrews Presbyterian Church Cemetery was one of the original burial grounds in the colony of Tasmania in Hobart Town. Land for the Cemetery had been granted by Governor Arthur in 1828 for the purpose of the burial of members of the Church of Scotland. St Andrews Scottish Presbyterian Church was built in 1824 on 29 Bathurst St Hobart and is noted as the oldest Presbyterian Church in Australia. The Old Presbyterian Cemetery was closed by proclamation in 1872.
In July 1933 it was requested by the City Council to have 205 headstones, and 35 vaults removed and the cemetery converted to a memorial reserve similar to St David's Park at a cost of 300 pounds, Due to it being rundown, overgrown with weeds, and locals starting to use it a refuse dump. It also had become a resort for 'all sorts of undesirable characters' according to a news article of 25 Jul 1933. A deputation from the Presbyterian Church of Hobart approached the council on 29 Aug 1933 to arrange handing the Cemetery over to Hobart Council, proposing to move the memorials to Cornelian Bay Cemetery. The Old Cemetery was finally transferred to Council and renamed St Andrews Park in 1935.
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index