Cemetery 424 - Milton Anglican Pioneer

Update Cemetery See Inscriptions Add Inscription

Milton Anglican Pioneer

Croobyar Road,

Milton

NSW

2538

-35.320503

150.441940

The Church of England (Anglican) Pioneer Memorial Cemetery at Milton occupies a small site off Croobyar Rd that is now on private property. The original church was demolished, all the headstones in its long neglected cemetery removed and the site sold by the Anglican Church some years ago. The site has not yet been redeveloped and remains an open grassed area which looks like a normal, empty building block between other houses in the street.

Following a public outcry at the perceived desecration of the cemetery, in which many early pioneers of the district were buried, the new owners of the property reacted sympathetically. At their own expense, they erected a small memorial in the south eastern corner of the site. In this area is exhibited a number of brass plaques listing the details of all those known to be buried in the old cemetery. The deaths date from 1864 to 1892.

The digital images were taken by Ray Cork during January 2009. His images may be downloaded from the list of inscriptions for this cemetery. Ray also compiled the inscription list with reference to the NSW BDM online search facility for additional information.

From Milton Shopping Centre follow the Pacific Highway south for approx 700m to the traffic lights at Croobyar Rd and turn right. The memorial Cemetery is located on the northern side of the road approximately 150m west of the highway.

Milton Pioneer Memorial Cemetery is on private property but the memorial is adjacent to the footpath with easy access and open to the public.

26 Jan 2009

15 Jan 2009

97

97

1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1

Location of cemetery

Functions

Update this Cemetery

Add an Inscription to this Cemetery

See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery

Add a Cemetery

Contact Australian Cemeteries Index