Langs Creek Anglican
off Lachlan Valley Way,
The historic little Langs Creek Cemetery was established in 1845 and contains several monuments dating from that decade. The latest date found was 1951. The cemetery is in a large fenced paddock about 500m off the main road and is reached via a bush track through a gate on the side of the road. It cannot be seen from the road itself.
The significance of Lang Creek Cemetery was recognised by a NSW Government Bicentenary Restoration project undertaken in conjunction with St John's Anglican Parish, Boorowa. A plaque attached to a large rock outside the cemetery states: “On this site, selected by Bishop Broughton, the district's first Anglican Church was built in 1845”
There is evidence of a lot of unmarked grave sites and a few unmarked grave surrounds. There are presently four fallen wooden crosses, which will deteriorate further over time. The lettering on two of them is practically indecipherable.
Denis Woolaston visited the cemetery on 19th January 2009 and made digital images of every visible inscription. The list of inscriptions for this cemetery was compiled from his images and with reference to the NSW indices of births, deaths and marriages for additional information.
Langs Creek Cemetery is off the western side of the Lachlan Valley Way, 8km south of Boorowa in mid western NSW. The access lane (pictured below), via unlocked metal gates, is signposted but can be easily missed.
25 Jan 2009
19 Jan 2009
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index