Port Macquarie Historic
Port Macquarie Historic Cemetery dates from 1821. Long since closed, it is now a delightful area with shady old trees and gardens that are kept in meticulous order by the Port Macquarie-Hastings Council. Its present condition is attributed in no small measure to the work of Christopher Flyght. A plaque mounted in the grounds acknowledges his work over 20 years as a dedicated employee of the then Hastings Council, during which time "many awards were made for his constant effort in the beautification of these historical cemetery grounds."
Because of their age, many of the remaining inscriptions are weather worn and are now difficult to decipher. However, a large monument lists the names of all persons known or believed to have been buried at this site. The extant headstones were photographed and listed by Sandra Cockbain in August 2008. Sandra's digital images may be downloaded from the list of inscriptions for this cemetery. That list was compiled with reference to the images and to the NSW early church records and indices of births, deaths and marriages for additional information.
The Port Macquarie Historic Cemetery is administered and maintained by the Port Macquarie-Hastings Council. For further information, contact Council at PO Box 84, Port Macquarie NSW 2444; phone 02 6581 8111; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
1 Oct 2008
31 Aug 2008
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index