Off George Gibson Drive,
Coopernook Cemetery occupies a small site on a hillside just west of the Pacific Highway and is surrounded by trees on three sides. Earliest inscriptions date from 1889 and the cemetery is still in use with recent burials noted. At the time of listing it was recently mowed and in good order. Weed spraying was undertaken during one visit. A small shelter shed is provided with an adjacent water tank.
There is no signage to denote denominational areas nor any row or grave numbering to be seen. There is no columbarium but in a number of cases it appears that ashes have been placed in existing graves.
The digital images were taken by Ray Cork during August 2008. His images may be downloaded from the list of inscriptions for this cemetery. Ray also compiled the inscription list with reference to the NSW BDM online search facility and the Australian War Memorial Nominal Rolls for both WW1 and WW2 for additional information.
Coopernook Cemetery is about 1km north of Coopernook Township. Take George Gibson Drive north towards the Pacific Highway. Turn left onto a unmarked dirt road approximately 100m west of the intersection with the Pacific Highway. From here it is approximately 0.5km to the cemetery. Major roadworks are currently (2008) being undertaken to duplicate the nearby highway. These may result in changes to the cemetery access.
Coopernook Cemetery is administered by Greater Taree City Council. For further information, contact council at PO Box 482, Taree NSW 2430; phone 02 6592 5399; email firstname.lastname@example.org
27 Aug 2008
21 Aug 2008
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index