The so-called Miles Old Cemetery had a relatively short life. Commenced around 1900, it was virtually closed by 1920, and has few inscriptions later than this. The reason it was abandoned is given on a sign at the site, which reads:
"This cemetery was started after the first cemetery on the banks of the Dogwood Creek was continually flooded. This cemetery was only operated for ten years as the ground was very stony and hard to dig and was disused by the 1920s. Many of the early pioneering families are represented here. As in most country towns, many of the early pioneers died as a result of disease due to lack of medicine or from accidents."
John Arthur visited the site and made digital images of every inscription he could find. However, the cemetery has obviously suffered due to vandalism and a number of epitaphs would now be lost. John's images may be downloaded from the list of inscriptions for this cemetery. That list was compiled with reference to the Queensland BDM online search facility and to the AWM WW1 nominal roll for additional information.
Racecourse road runs north off the Warrego Highway at Miles, from where it is 1.2km to the cemetery.
The now closed cemetery is the responsibility of the Dalby Regional Council. For further information, contact Council at PO Box 551, Dalby QLD 4405; phone 07 4672 1100; email: email@example.com
16 Jul 2008
30 Jun 2007
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index