East Street South
For over a century, until about 1980, Mount Morgan produced huge quantities of gold and copper, and the mighty open cut is a feature of this State heritage listed town.
The Mount Morgan Cemetery was photographed in part by Christine Frater during 2007 and 2008. Her images record numerous incidences of accidental death amongst the workers in the mine. A large monument, the Linda Memorial, with a reeded column near the entrance, names many of these men who died in mining accidents from December 1894 to July 1909, some buried here and others at Rockhampton or nearby cemeteries.
The inscriptions date from 1887. A columbarium was incorporated into the cemetery in the 1970s and a small lawn section in about 2003.
Christine has included an image (see below) of the first motor hearse used in Mount Morgan. Now in the Mount Morgan Historical Museum, it is a 1921 model Buick, acquired second hand in 1938 from a Rockhampton firm by the local funeral directors, T. T. & C. Cornes. It was registered until 1960.
There is also an image (see below) of the Chinese Shrine (heung lew or xiang xu) erected in 1890 by Mount Morgan's Chinese community.
The Mount Morgan Cemetery, including the Linda Memorial and the Chinese Shrine, was State heritage listed in 1992.
The list of inscriptions for this cemetery was compiled with reference to the Queensland BDM online search facility and to the Australian War Memorial online nominal rolls for both world wars for additional information.
The Mount Morgan Cemetery is located on the eastern side of East Street South, close to the Burnett Highway.
Administered by the Rockhampton Regional Council. For further information, contact Council at PO Box 1860 Rockhampton QLD 4700; phone: 4932 9000 or 1300 22 55 77; email: email@example.com
8 Apr 2017
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index