Cemetery 30 - Denison Town Pioneer

Update Cemetery See Inscriptions Add Inscription

Denison Town Pioneer

Black Stump Way,

Denison Town





The sign at the gate states that this cemetery is believed to have opened in 1850 and closed in 1915. There are now only four headstones remaining (one of which has fallen) that contain eight names. However, a plaque has been installed on a rock memorial near the entrance that lists the names of 56 persons buried either in this cemetery or nearby between 1858 and 1911. The details have obviously been transcribed from the registers of deaths held by the three local registrars of the time - Cassilis, Gulgong and Coolah - of persons recorded as having been buried at Denison Town.

It is disappointing, however, to find that when the records at the cemetery are compared with the official indexes derived from the same sources, many disparities in names and dates emerge. It is fairly obvious in several cases that the plaque at the cemetery is in error but also in a couple of others that the index itself is in error. It also seems likely that in one instance the stonemason got it wrong. As to the others - who knows?

Errors aside, it is very pleasing to see the efforts that have been made by the local community to preserve some of the history of what was once a village but is now a mere locality lacking even a sign by the road. The cemetery site is in good tidy condition and those responsible for its restoration and maintenance are to be congratulated. It was noted that some restoration work has been carried out quite recently on the Bayliss graves.

Jean and I visited the site on 23 June 2004 and made digital images of the few remaining headstones. These may be viewed and downloaded from the list of inscriptions for this cemetery.

From Dunedoo, travel east along the Golden Highway for 12km then turn left onto the Coolah Road (Black Stump Way). The pioneer cemetery is almost 1km from that intersection on the right hand side of the road as you travel towards Coolah.

The cemetery is closed but maintained by the Warrumbungle Shire Council. Contact Council at PO Box 191, Coonabarabran NSW 2357; phone 02 6849 2000; email: info@warrumbungle.nsw.gov.au

8 Jan 2006

23 Jun 2004




Location of cemetery


Update this Cemetery

Add an Inscription to this Cemetery

See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery

Add a Cemetery

Contact Australian Cemeteries Index