Cemetery 2966 - Serpentine Creek

Update Cemetery See Inscriptions Add Inscription

Serpentine Creek

398-408 Serpentine Creek Rd

Redland Bay

QLD

4165

-27.669150

153.301400

On a lightly timbered rise on the road between Redland Bay and the Logan River, is a small country cemetery. It served the community of Redland Bay and eastern Gramzow (later Carboork). The five acre lot was gazetted as a cemetery in late 1889 and in May 1890 five Redland Bay farmers [Frederick Muller, James Collins, Edward Heinemann, James Moore and Daniel James Collins] were appointed trustees. These men were all involved either in the local council, School of Arts and or school committees. After about 18 years of operation, another cemetery site in Gordon Street Redland Bay was allocated and use of the Serpentine Road Cemetery gradually declined with the last recorded burial in 1945. Following public petition that the place be conserved, control of the cemetery reserve passed to the Redland Shire Council in 1977. Grazing on the reserve ceased at this point. In recent times community projects aimed at documenting burials and botanical species on the site have ensured its retention and respect.

24 Apr 2021

20

18

1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1

Location of cemetery

Functions

Update this Cemetery

Add an Inscription to this Cemetery

See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery

Add a Cemetery

Contact Australian Cemeteries Index