88 Hedley Ave
The cemetery occupies a four acre site on the old German Station, which is evident by the many number of German settlers in the cemetery. It was built from 1840s to 1963, and was added to the Queensland Heritage Register on 21 Oct 1992.
The cemetery was established in 1846 by a small group of German Lutheran missionaries who, in 1838, had founded Queensland's first free settlement, at Zion's Hill above Kedron Brook. At that time, the district was known as German Station, as the earliest settlers were Lutheran missionaries. The district was originally outside of the town of Brisbane and was a farming community. At that time, the road beside the cemetery was known as Cemetery Road. Only one death had been recorded at the German Station by 1845, but several children died the following year, and the cemetery is indicated on an 1846 sketch by missionary Carl Gerler.
Many of the pioneers of the Nundah district are buried in this cemetery. Although the German Station mission was wound down between 1844 and 1850, several of the missionary families remained in the area. From amongst these settlers the first trustees of the German Station Cemetery were appointed in 1866. The first recorded burial was in 1887 and it is believed the earlier records may have been lost in a flood. Even after 1887 the records were not well kept.
Although the cemetery has no space for new gravesites, it is possible to place cremated ashes in existing family graves or in the columbarium walls. It is also possible for family members to be buried in existing graves which are not yet full.
The layout is quite haphazard with no order or denominational sections, and unfortunately there are many unmarked graves in the cemetery. Many of the headstones that do survive are degrading and are becoming hard to read. Vandalism has been a problem, probably because of the close proximity to parks and sporting fields. Information about the cemetery is readily available on site. A second new columbarium has recently been added to the cemetery. There are seats, water and toilets on site although the toilet facilities always seemed to be locked.
1st-way: FROM- Nudgee Rd, turn at York St, Hedley Ave is on (Left Side). 2nd-way: FROM- Melton Rd, turn right onto Hows Rd, then turn right onto Hedley Ave, Nundah Historic Cemetery is not far from juncture of Hows Rd, and Hedley Ave.
Nundah Historic Cemetery (also known as, German Station)
Location: Hedley Avenue, Nundah, 4012
Postal address: C/- Toowong Cemetery
Office opening hours: No office on site - managed by Toowong Cemetery
Toowong Cemetery-Office opening hours: Mon-Fri, 9am-1pm.
Visiting hours: Monday to Sunday: 6am to 6pm
Contact Nundah Cemetery by:
phoning Council on 07 3403 8888
email (to Toowong Cemetery).
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index