Monumental cemetery. Cracow is an historic gold mining town. It was settled in 1851 by John Ross and took its name from the nearby pastoral run, Cracow Station. It was named after the Polish city of Krakow. More recent accounts suggest that the name was derived from the sound of the stock whip [cracko]. Small deposits of gold were first discovered on Cracow Station in 1887 but wasn't truly unearthed until 1913. By 1932 the township had grown and supported a population of nearly 3000 people. Today it is a ghost town of its former self.
The grounds are well maintained. Due to the dry weather conditions, time and the white ants in this area, the wooden picket fences and crosses, marking grave sites, are deteriorating. No signs of vandalism.
Cracow is 485 km North West of Brisbane. Travel 2 km east of Cracow on Eidsvold-Theodore Road and turn right. Proceed 200m to car park and cemetery entrance.
Banana Shire Council. Shire Chambers: 62 Valentine Plains Road, 62 Valentine Plains Road, Biloela, QLD Australia 4715. Postal Address: PO Box 412 Biloela QLD 4715. Phone: (07) 4992 9500. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
22 Oct 2016
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index