In the years 1939/40, the Chinchilla Shire Council purchased a block of land two kilometres northeast of the town for a new cemetery and it was surveyed into blocks, segregating the different religions. The Chinchilla Monumental Cemetery was officially opened in March 1941.
At the entrance to the Catholic section of the cemetery, green double steel gates were erected, in memory of Nurse Hannah Fitzgerald, the first burial in the Catholic Section. A plaque is attached to the gates framework stating “These gates erected in memory of Nurse Hannah Fitzgerald. 1861-1943”. A small section adjacent to the gate and extending along the boundary is delineated by a metal post and chain fence, a metal plaque placed by the Chinchilla Shire Council informs that this section is believed to be the burial ground of the early settlers of the Mizpah district and states their names.
The graves in the cemetery are arranged in rows and the overwhelming majority is surrounded by concrete borders, some with ornamental corner elements and covered with a concrete plate, some decorated with tiles, granite slabs or gravel. Headstones include mounted tablets, stelae and crosses, including some timber crosses.
A columbarium wall was built on the right hand side of the main gates to this cemetery and provides niches for 80 containers of ashes. At a later date another wall was constructed on the opposite side of the gates.
The Chinchilla Monumental Cemetery is open for interments. [www.wdrc.qld.gov.au/living-here/cemeteries/western-downs-cemeteries/chinchilla-district-cemeteries/]
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index