Cemetery 2363 - Yerranderie

Update Cemetery See Inscriptions Add Inscription

Yerranderie

Dobson St (Cemetery Ridge)

Yerranderie

NSW

2787

-34.113910

150.225200

History

Silver bearing ore was discovered at The Peaks in 1871. Mining leases were applied for from 1885 and mining commenced at Bartlett Colon Peaks mine in 1897. By 1899 about 100 men were employed on the silver fields. Viable quantities of lead, gold and other minerals were also produced.

Yerranderie was thriving and as the town reached its peak with a population of 2,000 miners were living close to the mines and on the Tonalli River.

The most active period of mining was between 1898 and 1928. There was a decline during World War 1 and the mines finally closed during the Depression when the miners went out on strike. World War 11 caused a further decline as much plant and machinery was removed for war use. Access to Yerranderie was cut off in 1959 by the flooding of the road from Camden through Burragorang Valley with the completion of the Warragamba Dam. The township was finally abandoned.

With access from the west improved Yerranderie is once again alive and of significant Heritage Value for the Wollondilly Shire.

CLASSIFIED by the National Trust:

As an Industrial Archaeology Conservation Area.

Location

The Yerranderie General Cemetery is located on the west side of Dobson Street, which runs northward from West Yerranderie. The site is covered by Eucalypt, Casuarinas and low native shrubs. The dedicated area of the cemetery is 4.5ha arranged in four denominational sections. Only a thin strip adjacent to the roadway has been utilized for burials. The remains of an early post and rail fence mark the western side along the alignment of the gazetted road.

Burials

A meandering path runs through the cemetery connecting groups of monuments.

Many early graves are now unmarked. The wooden cross stands within the Catholic section. The inscriptions on the headstones provide insight into the social conditions of the early part of that century. A disproportionate number date from 1918, this may be tangible evidence of the effects on the community of the 1918 influenza epidemic.

Head stones include a number of white marble with assorted floral motifs.

Many graves feature surrounds formed by circlets of natural stone. Other surrounds are wrought iron, with cast corner posts set in concrete bases.

Records show burials as early as 1901/2

Yerranderie General Cemetery provides a tangible remnant of the previous mining community and as such is an important social document.

The sparse layout gives insight into the hopes and aspirations of the area's early miners. The natural bush landscape provides a beautiful and unusual setting.

Oberon Stock route

4

1

1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1

Location of cemetery

Functions

Update this Cemetery

Add an Inscription to this Cemetery

See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery

Add a Cemetery

Contact Australian Cemeteries Index