Cemetery 2301 - Wilcannia

Update Cemetery See Inscriptions Add Inscription

Wilcannia

Reid St

Wilcannia

NSW

2836

-31.574696

143.366239

This cemetery comprises a monumental section, lawn sectio and a columbarium. Inscriptions recorded date from 1879. Wilcannia is an historic town, on the Darling river and was the 3rd largest inland ports. The Police Station,Court House and Post Office are a few of the old sandstone buildings still in use. Population is approximately 600 with a strong aboriginal community.
Cemetery is well maintained. No signs of neglect or vandalism.

HISTORIC GRAVES. In the Wilcannia cemetery there is a number of historic graves. It is laid out in denominational areas, and it may interest my readers to know that the early Australian cemeteries were among the first in the world to be divided in this manner. Although trustees were appointed in 1881, burials took place many years before then. Much of the early history of Wilcannia and districts may be gathered from a study of the inscriptions to be found within the cemetery's boundaries.

In the Church of England section the following are a few of those interred there: Henry Watson, wool scourer, of Momba, died January 5, 1874. Trowbridge William Haselwood, died March 18, 1877. Patrick William Brougham, died February 16, 1889, aged 38 years. William Walter, who died on September 24, 1879, was at Momba Station for eleven years. James Bradbury Parr, a Sergeant Major of the Hussars, who died at the advanced age of 90 years, and was buried with military honors on the first anniversary of Anzac Day, 1916. A monument to his memory was erected by the Darling Empire League. A stone of interest is to the memory of Alexander Munro, for many years manager of Mount Murchison, and who died on August 10, 1915, at the age of 72. It is also intended to perpetuate the memory of John Mackay, who was a resident of Albemarle and district for more than half a century, and who died at the age of 84. This stone was erected as a tribute of respect to the memory of these two men, who blazed the trail for the benefit of posterity.

In the Roman Catholic section is a fine memorial erected to honor the Very Rev. Patrick R. Davoren, who died on January 17, 1898, after having labored for 28 years as a priest of the Roman Catholic Church.

In the Methodist section are several memorials to the Warwick family, who were strong supporters of that branch of the Christian faith in Wilcannia.

In the general section are a number of Chinese graves, whilst there are many other citizens buried there, who were associated with the early days of the Darling area around Wilcannia. The residents of this important town pride themselves on having a "past" of which they are justifiably proud.

958km west Sydney, 196km east of Broken Hill on the Barrier Highway. From the township travel west along Reid Street for 1.6km. Turn left and travel 400m to the gates to cemetery.

Central Darling Shire Council, 21 Reid Street, Wilcannia, NSW 2836, Postal: PO Box 165 Wilcannia, NSW 2836, Ph: 08 80838900, Fax: 08 80915994, Email: council@centraldarling.nsw.gov.au

11 Jun 2017

11 Jun 2017

1400

1296

1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1

Location of cemetery

Functions

Update this Cemetery

Add an Inscription to this Cemetery

See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery

Add a Cemetery

Contact Australian Cemeteries Index