The Tumut Pioneer Cemetery (TPC) was not the first cemetery in Tumut. The first burial ground was in the vicinity of the original township at Mill Angle, now the showground/racecourse area. That town-site was prone to flooding and was re-located sometime after 1848. 2 acres of land for a cemetery was promised by the Lands Dept in 1854, tenders for fencing etc were let in 1859, and the site was consecrated by the Church of England in 1861. This TPC site became over-crowded by the 1890's, and burials commenced at the “new” general cemetery at Capper St very early in the 1900's, although burials continued in family plots long after that. By the 1960's the “old” cemetery had almost disappeared under periwinkle and elm suckers and only the tops of the tallest monuments were visible. The Restoration Committee was formed between 1969 and 1971 and the cemetery was cleared, headstones restored and cleaned and a 2-rail timber fence built around the boundary. Iron gates which had originally stood at the entrance to O'Brien's Hall in Wynyard St (now converted to a shopping arcade) were given by the RSL Club and shrubs were planted. It was designated 'Tumut Pioneer Cemetery' and handed over to the Tumut Shire Council on 5 June 1971. The book titled “Tumut Pioneer Cemetery” was published in 1989 by the Tumut Family History Group and lists all of the cemetery's gravestone inscriptions and unmarked burials.
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index