Tenterfield's original cemetery was located in Queen's Park (now the Henry Parkes Memorial Public School). The present cemetery was gazetted in 1873. Many of the old headstones from Queens Park have been relocated to the new cemetery.
The cemetery consists of monumental areas divided into denominational areas, a large modern lawn section and two columbaria. There is an area within the cemetery which appears unused but is actually the unmarked burial sites of approximately 20 Chinese from the 1850s. The Tenterfield War Cemetery is within the grounds. There are no facilities.
The grounds are maintained in excellent condition by Tenterfield Shire Council. Most of the headstones are in good condition with legible inscriptions.
In July 2019 Jenni Pentland of Tenterfield Shire Council provided a large amount of information including detailed maps, burial lists and many images of inscriptions for this cemetery. Ray Cork has transcribed and uploaded this information.
Latest Updates; December 2019 to Jul 2020 all portions completed - names and images added from Council information and transcribed.