Oberon General Cemetery occupies a large and well maintained site. There is plenty of open space, but all of it was mown and weed free when we visited and the whole cemetery presented a very pleasing picture. It is obvious that many trees have been planted in the grounds in recent years. There are litter bins and several seats but no other facilities.
The various denominational portions are all clearly signposted but the boundary between the Old Catholic and Old Uniting portions is somewhat difficult to determine. There are no row markers. A small columbarium and an unusual circular lawn cemetery are both of recent origin.
Inscriptions date from 1876. The headstones are mostly erect and in good order although, as in other cemeteries in this district, many of the marble tablets installed in the 1940s to 1960s are already very difficult to read as the paint disappears from very shallow engraving. We found no broken glass or rabbit holes or evidence of vandalism. It is the policy of Council to keep the vehicle access gates padlocked to minimise vandalism to the grounds and, presumably, to prevent unauthorised monumental work.
Reg and Jean McDonell visited the cemetery on 26 October 2006 and made digital images and notes of all visible inscriptions. In compiling the inscription list, we also referred to the NSW indexes of births, deaths and marriages and to military records for further information.
From Oberon CBD, take the Abercrombie (Goulburn) Road for approximately 2km to the cemetery, which is on the right hand side of the road.
The cemetery is administered by Oberon Council. For further information, contact Council at 137-139 Oberon Street (PO Box 84), Oberon NSW 2787; phone: 02 6329 8100; email: email@example.com
4 Dec 2006
26 Oct 2006
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index