Original inscriptions on this site date from the early 1870s. There are some fine examples of sandstone, marble and granite monuments but the evident trend in latter years has been to the use of brass plaques in lieu of marble or granite tablets. Just inside the gate, on the right hand side, is an old sandstone monument dated 1864 that was rescued after being swept away from its original site on a local property by a large flood in 1950. It has been restored and remounted and is in beautiful condition.
As in the General Cemetery, weeds are controlled by the use of herbicides with unattractive results. In several sloping areas, this has caused soil erosion. The bare appearance of the site is contributed to by the lack of any shade trees. There is no internal parking area and the external parking is limited. There are no amenities. We found the grounds otherwise tidy and broken glass was not a problem.
We visited the cemetery on 18 and 19 November 2005 and made digital images and notes of all visible inscriptions. In compiling the attached list, we also referred to the NSW indexes of births, deaths and marriages and to the World War 1 and World War 2 Nominal Rolls for further information.
Coonabarabran's Anglican Cemetery is a little further out of town than the General Cemetery. From the clock tower in the centre of the shopping centre, turn east into Dalgarno Street and drive for 1.5km. Turn right at the second cemetery finger post.
The cemetery is administered and maintained by the Warrumbungle Shire Council. Contact Council at PO Box 191, Coonabarabran NSW 2357; phone 02 6849 2000; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
1 Jan 2006
19 Nov 2005
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index