Cemetery 177 - Sherwood Anglican

Update Cemetery See Inscriptions Add Inscription

Sherwood Anglican

Sherwood Rd & Egmont St,






St Matthews Anglican Cemetery is on the corner of Sherwood Rd and Egmont St Sherwood, a suburb of Brisbane. The foundation stone of the first parish church of St Matthew was laid in 1869 and the building consecreated by Bishop Tufnell in 1874. Unfortunately, it burnt down in 1921 and many of the records were destroyed. The church was rebuilt and stands on the corner of Sherwood & Oxley Rds.

Many early settlers lie at rest here, along with their descendants, and many of the streets in Sherwood have been named after them. The cemetery grounds are well kept, as are the headstones, and there are no signs of vandalism. There are no amenities and parking is available in Egmont Street.

The site comprises a traditional monumental area, a more recent lawn cemetery and an extensive columbarium. It is not known just when the cemetery was established. Inscriptions as early as 1854 and 1865 were found but it is doubtful that those burials took place here. Another inscription dated 1872 is probably a good indication that the cemetery was established close to the time that the first church was built.

The inscription list and images were supplied by Roma Waldron, who visited and photographed the cemetery in October 2006.

Enquiries should be directed by phone to the Rector of St Matthew's at 07 3379 3437.

17 Nov 2006

31 Oct 2006




Location of cemetery


Update this Cemetery

Add an Inscription to this Cemetery

See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery

Add a Cemetery

Contact Australian Cemeteries Index