The oldest Catholic burial ground in NSW, McCarthy's Cemetery is not associated with a church building, but evolved from a private burial ground to a consecrated cemetery, always with a strong community focus.
In 1806, a time when Catholicism was not officially recognised in the colony, ex-convict settlers James and Mary McCarthy buried their daughter Elizabeth at the southern end of their Cranebrook property. The land was consecrated in the 1830s, and became a cemetery for many Catholics in the Castlereagh community - one of the first in Australia.
It is of State significance as a rare example of a highly intact rural community cemetery and for its ongoing connection with the community and families, who continue to visit and use the cemetery.
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index