Campbells River Road
This small general cemetery replaced an older Black Springs cemetery and was dedicated on 13 March 2005. The occasion was marked by the erection of a cairn and plaque at the rear of the cemetery. We found memorials dating from 1906. The cemetery has obviously received a deal of attention in recent times with an effort being made to identify the many unmarked burials and place a marker on the graves. As a result, there are many such steel crosses to be seen with at least basic information on them. Even graves containing unidentified remains have been marked as such.
The sloping grounds are maintained in excellent condition by the Council, with grass cut and weeds controlled with herbicide. Every portion is clearly signposted, the site is well fenced, and we experienced no problems with rabbit holes or broken glass.
We visited the site on 26 October 2006 and made digital images and notes of all visible inscriptions. When compiling the inscription list, we consulted the NSW indexes of births, deaths and marriages for further information. The digital images may be viewed and downloaded from the list of inscriptions for this cemetery.
Black Springs is a village 23 km from Oberon on the road to Goulburn. The cemetery is located about 400m from the centre of the village on the southern side of Campbells River Road.
The cemetery is administered by the Oberon Shire Council. Contact Council at PO Box 84, Oberon NSW 2787; phone: 02 6336 1100; email: email@example.com
Council is to be commended for the fact that it has a listing of all known burials in all of the public and private cemeteries in the district on its website (address below).
21 Oct 2006
19 Oct 2006
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index