Duchess lies on the northern bank of Jackâ€™s Creek, on of the upper branches of the Burke River, 97.6kms southwest of Cloncurry and 97kms south of Mount Isa. It was discovered by Jack Kennedy in 1897, 24-year-old son of Alexander Kennedy. It was named Duchess after the aboriginal wife of Oscar de Satge an English Aristocrat who was known as â€œThe Dukeâ€. In February 1906 the original holders sold the leases for Â£15.000 to the Hampden - Cloncurry Mines limited. The Duchess Mine was the deepest in the Cloncurry district, high-grade bornite (copper sulphide) ore, and worth over 30 per cent. Duchess was a large Railway siding up until WWII.
The cemetery is approximately 2 km north of Duchess behind a large hill. Follow the road east through town, turn left before crossing the railway line, next turn left through a gate and drive 1km. It is a fenced area to the left. There are six headstones. A few more are marked but there are at least 45 altogether.
19 Dec 2015
Update this Cemetery
Add an Inscription to this Cemetery
See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery
Add a Cemetery
Contact Australian Cemeteries Index