Cemetery 1704 - Liverpool Apex Park

Update Cemetery See Inscriptions Add Inscription

Liverpool Apex Park

Mulgoa Road

Liverpool

NSW

2170

-33.919042

150.920173

Liverpool Apex Park is the site of an old burial ground. It was consecrated by the principal Chaplain of the Colony, the Reverend Samuel Marsden in 1811. The first burial took place on 19 May 1811, of Thomas Tyrrell, aged 4, who drowned in Georges River.

Between 1811 and 1821 123 people were buried at the site, the last being Richard Murphy on 4 June 1821. The site was then abandoned as it was too damp.

In the 1850's a number of additional burials took place at the request of a Rev. James Walker. His own burial, in a vault, took place in late Oct 1854.

By 1943 very few tombstones remained. In 1950 an Act of Parliament turned the area into a park, with the remaining headstones being relocated to the "Church of England Cemetery at Liverpool"

Sometime thereafter they were supposedly moved "to the grounds at the rear of the Church of England Rectory and the St Lukes Cemetery". (The southern portion of the Liverpool Memorial Pioneer Cemetery). The park was constructed by Apex in 1956.

The headstone of Rev. Walker is currently in Liverpool Council's Rose St Depot.

19 Mar 2014

19 Mar 2014

122

0

1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1

Location of cemetery

Functions

Update this Cemetery

Add an Inscription to this Cemetery

See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery

Add a Cemetery

Contact Australian Cemeteries Index