Cemetery 1569 - Hazelgrove

Update Cemetery See Inscriptions Add Inscription

Hazelgrove

Slippery Creek

Hazelgrove Rd

Hazelgrove

NSW

2787

-33.662523

149.893848

Hazelgrove was previously called "Slippery Creek"

A small headstone marks "First in the graveyard, killed 1853" with no name or age. This grave is most likely that of infant Thomas Burns. Many of the pioneers who arrived in the district from the 1830's are buried here, including those from Irish Corner, Duckmaloi, Lowes Mount and Mutton Falls. The church of St. Dominic was situated near the century old pine. A popular place of worship, baptism and marriage for many years, it was demolished in the 1950's.

The Cemetery is privately owned, still in use and comes under the auspices of Oberon Council. The Council has advised the plot register of early burials was lost in a house fire. Descendants keep the graves and surroundings in reasonable condition. There are no public amenities.

Wayne Hill walked and photographed this cemetery on Dec 3, 2014. Additional information was found at NSW BDM records The Ryerson index and Trove newspaper entries for the cemetery.

Hazelgrove Road runs off the north eastern side of the town of Oberon. The cemetery is located on a cattle property at the small hamlet of Hazelgrove, 7 kms. from Oberon. At the Slippery Creek road sign, another sign points to "Hazelgrove Cemetery". The gate to the property has the number 523 affixed. As there are cattle about, be sure to close the gate, then follow the track over the little causeway and up the hill to the fenced cemetery.

The Oberon Council, 137 - 139 Oberon Street, Oberon NSW 2787 (email: council@oberon.nsw.gov.au )

3 Dec 2014

3 Dec 2014

230

220

1
1
1

Location of cemetery

Functions

Update this Cemetery

Add an Inscription to this Cemetery

See all Inscriptions in this Cemetery

Add a Cemetery

Contact Australian Cemeteries Index